Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday Funnies

I wish that I was smart enough to post pictures like my sister-in-law is! What a wonderful picture of Brian with Connie. He has asked about her and I am positive that he was overjoyed to see her. It doesn't always show, but these visits are awesome!!!
Today was the first time that Greg had seen Brian since Harper Hospital. I haven't asked him for his opinion on the day but I am pretty sure that he was impressed. Justyne was with us, as well as Stacey, Kelsey and Rachel, of course. He was in his room in the bed lookin good. When Rachel got there, he was on the floor and the bed WAS NOT in the low position that it should have been. He was quietly calling for help and his left arm was sore. The nurse ordered x-rays of both arms but when I got there he seemed perfect. Both hands were working just fine so I'm pretty hopeful that he was just bruised. Nevertheless, heads will roll for not informing the new aide that the bed should always be low, low, low!!! I wanted to put him in his chair so we could all go to the lounge. He seemed to be fighting the aide and didn't want to go down there. I told him that he would be able to sit next to Rachel on the couch and that got him moving top speed. The seven of us just sat around and talked and laughed and laughed and tossed a superball around. Once he starts getting relaxed in a situation he really opens up to join in the conversation. We talked about movies, sports, Bobeth...anything. When the talk got to that Borat movie he was right in it talking and laughing. What a joy!! When I show up and he is alone, I usually start with a hug and he always hugs me back. I'll ask him very directly how he is feeling and he will usually give me a thumbs up. As I talk, I will ask him a question that has two options so that he has to give me an answer and not just a nod or a yes or no. This is usually all that it takes to get him to open up and start talking a bit. Humor is definately the best way to go. He loves to laugh!
Anyway, the visit was just wonderful. There is so much more "Brian" coming to the surface every day. He is such a fun guy to be with (just ask Rachel). If you haven't visited him in a while, please try to do so this week. Especially during the day. Rachel is taking a much deserved vacation to Florida. She leaves Monday morning and returns Saturday. Brian will surely miss her so I'd like to distract him as much as possible. I am usually there by 4 pm every day. He usually has his therapy in the morning and it's pretty cool to see it.
Please call me if you want to meet me there! Til next time...Marcy:)

No comments: