Saturday, March 17, 2007

Saturday for Friday

Kelly tells me that I can change the time on this crazy clock that is like 3hours and 22 and a half minutes off but I cannot find the doohickie that might change it. AAArrrggghhhh! It is 8:58 pm on Saturday and I am watching MSU vs. UNC. Thought I might need to catch you up. One biggie that I never posted was regarding Brians last day at Clarkston. Stacey and Thom were already there when Kelsey and Greg and I got there. Brian was awaiting a shower since the water was once again cold for his regular scheduled time. Finally, Liz appeared to whisk him away. While he was gone, Sally Shryock and her fiance John arrived with their malamute, Nick. Sally is, if you need a refresher, one of Stacey's oldest friends and the gal I helped get a job at Chevy. Her folks lived next door to Jim and I in Birmingham when we first got married. Brian came out of the shower and was truly excited to meet the dog. Malamutes are his favorite "brand" of doggie. The dog is so sweet and smart! He obeys and performs on command. The best part was tossing treats around and watching him leap around after them. Thank you Sally and John for such a nice day. Nick is welcome at our home anytime...you two too!
Back to the present. I visited Friday after work and Rachel was there and had been most of the day. She got to go with him to Harper for the LONG awaited swallow test. She said that she actually got to view the "x-ray" of the swallows as they happened. Salva proclaimed him a perfect swallower and ordered him a real lunch for when he got back to the room. YaaaaaaaaY! Nothing like food. I stopped at Kruse and Muer's for a bag-o-bread, ate one loaf on the way down, and presented him with the bag when I got there. His jaw dropped, he dug out the bread, ripped off the end and began to munch away with glee. Everybody loves K and M bread! He was very chatty and goofy and funny. Rachel and I were constantly cracking up over the stuff he was telling us. I think that he may have been insulting me once or twice but I loved every minute of it. We called Grams and Gramps and Brian talked to Grammy for about 5 minutes. Voice got quiet once in awhile but the love was obviously flowing. He was confused about where he was...wanted to know why we weren't going into the family room...but so far he doesn't seem to get upset when he is corrected. After Rachel left he was a little bit quieter but also very tired. Julie, (nurse) came in for meds. Really like her. She wanted the whole Brian story so I told her everything. She decided that since he was eating he could start taking some meds by mouth. He took 2 coumadin pills with absolutely no problem. Everything else that he takes is liquid so I'm sure they will be changing those to oral meds shortly.
When it was time for me to leave he was in the bed. He wasn't sure where he was and wanted to know why I was leaving. I told him that I had to go home to sleep so I could go to work on Saturday. I hate leaving him. I would prefer to leave him after he was asleep but I can't. Kelsey and I hope to see him early on Sunday and catch some of the therapy sessions. He's working so hard! I am so proud of him. Til next time...Marcy :)

No comments: