Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A move is in store

Today, Sheila informed me that Brian has been approved for RIM. This seems awful fast since just yesterday a woman from RIM called and told me that he would not be approved unless I could tell her that I have 24 hour care at home for when he is released from there in 4 to 6 weeks. She assumed that I would tell her that there is plenty of family around to take shifts. I told her that there was no family capable of helping and that I would have to look in to some sort of home health care. I didn't think she would approve the move without my guarantee. It's hard to determine what kind of help is needed when he still has so much time to improve. He has been at Clarkston for about a month and a half and even with the pneumonia setback, he has gone from a ragdoll to a wheelchair dude. When I left today, he was checking in on June, across the hall. He's very adept at going backward but his long legs make forward progress more tedious. Kathy said that the chair is actually a little to low to the ground for his legs. It's the 9000 XT which we assume means extra tall, just not tall enough! He was in good, quiet spirits. When we started singing cartoon theme songs, he named the shows, out loud. This is good. Kathy told us about a bicycle racer guy that had to recoup from a brain injury. He talked about how he felt as if he was listening through water or a quagmire or something gloopy like that. She asked Brian if that was how he felt and he said yes. It must be awful frustrating to not have full command of how your brain is processing. I think he does a darn good job of staying positive through this very difficult situation. He had a little dinner and more of Judy's crazy good cheesecake (yes, I tried it and it was indescribably delicious!!!) and I had to go after that to feed me, Greg and sick Kelsey....she has a bad sore throat virus. Tonight is shower night, Hallelujah! His hair gets so dirty and so itchy!
Gotta go cook. Til next time, Marcy :)

No comments: