Saturday, March 3, 2007

Snowy Saturday Visit

Hi ya'll, Brian's cousin Kelly reporting live.

The last conversation I had with Brian before his AVM bled was on Thanksgiving. He had arrived late to our family dinner and was nibbling at a few foods after eating many delicious delights at Rachel's home. We talked about his job with a catering company, and about he and Rachel, of course. =)

Looking back, I can't really recall the subject of too many of our conversations over the years, except for the time we bonded about our crazy ear piercings and the gross ear wax smell that results from having large holes in the lobes.

Today when I stopped by to visit Brian around 3:30 pm, I realized just how little I know about my cousin. It was just the 2 of us, Brian sitting in his chair staring out the window, and me commenting 3 or 4 times on the snow swirling around outside. Brian was shaking his head "yes" and "no" to my few questions, and in the silence I struggled with the desire to make him smile, to engage him in some way, but not knowing how.

After about 20 minutes, Judy and Ron (Rachel's parents) swept into the room like a ray of sunshine. Brian's face brightened as they surrounded him, saying hello to him and chatting happily. Ron asked Brian to say his (Ron's) name, and Brian said it.

I, Kelly, have not witnessed Brian speaking, and it was awesome to hear that quiet voice. And he kept speaking. He said my name (yeehaw!). Judy is so sweet, she asked Brian if he wanted some chicken and said she'd sneak it in for him. Kissed his hand, asked lots of questions, made him smile so much. Ron and Judy brought Brian a black t-shirt with a big flashy silver and red Superman "S" on it, and Brian said "Superman" when prompted.

Judy and Ron obviously know Brian very well. They were able to ask him lots of questions and tease him about different things, like tv shows, music, food, etc. Judy called Rachel on a cell phone and held the phone up to Brian's ear. He talked with her in a quiet voice and told her he loves her.

Brian ate some dinner (smashed tators, bean puré surprise, cake with a splash of milk) and it was time for me to leave. I leaned over and grabbed Brian's hand and told him that I love him so much. Immediately Brian said he loved me, too. There is a slight possibility that I have told Brian that I love him once before, like when I was 5 and he was a newborn and I was allowed to hold him as long as I sat still on the couch with a pillow under my arm for added support. However, just because there has been a 22 year gap between expressions doesn't mean I love my family member any less.

I praise God for this beauty in Brian's recovery: giving this family a new opportunity to express love for each other. To God be the glory!

"Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts." 1 Chronicles 16:9

No comments: