Monday, February 5, 2007

Sunday morning at church

Our congregation (Our Savior Lutheran/Lansing) has been praying for Brian since the Sunday he got sick. I get at least 4 or 5 people every Sunday who ask for an update on him, and so I relay the most recent progress report. Yesterday, a good friend who is a physical therapist (Sally) asked for more details on what happened originally and we updated her on the AVM, the gamma knife surgery, etc. During the course of the conversation, we had also discussed the bone flap, the trach, and wearing of the helmet. Sally then started to say "just tell them, and they can drill some holes -- I've done that before" and I thought she was talking about drilling holes in the skull, but what she meant was drill holes in the helmet if it was too hot for Brian. Anyway, it made for a confusing conversation, along with some laughter that I thought Brian would appreciate, too.

Sally also asked if anyone was keeping a journal, as that would be really neat for Brian to have once he is recovered -- to know what was happening during these past weeks/months. We thought it was a good idea. (Aunt Deb)

1 comment:

Auntie Robyn said...

Marcy, Kelsey and I went to church together and afterwards went to see Brian. It was great to be in church together. I really enjoyed the service and all the words of love! It was freezing cold to say the least. We stopped for a bite to eat and a warm drink. I think it froze before we were able to run back to the car. Sorry Kelsey that you had to sit in the back! Old people always get the front seat...it's just a rule you have to live with. Anyway, I didn't really know what to expect with Brian. The other times I had visited at Harper he slept. Not even my high-pitched voice could wake him. When we walked into his room, he was asleep. Well, we talked and moved him a bit. I made "bird sounds" according to Kelsey, which I didn't mean too...just habit. Anyway, we finally saw those eyes open up. I think the greatest moment was when Kelsey and Brian began to toss a hand towel back and forth. You could see they were teasing each other. Brian also enjoyed pushing her off the bed. Brian definately enjoys seeing his sister and continuing to do what big brothers do...bug! Thom and Stacey showed up...a nice surprise. We were all able to visit and chat...do some catching up. Brian remained awake most of the time. He used his hands and legs. Was very interested in all us crazy people. I was amazed at his progress. I know God is answering prayers. It may be a long journey to recovery, but Brian is close to God's heart and God will direct his path. I wanted to also tell Marcy what an example she is. With all you have endured over the past few years..your faith is a shining example to me. Thanks for being my sister. Kelsey, I am so happy to say you are my god-daugher. I wish I could take credit for all your talent, but I know where it comes from. Continue to use the gifts God has given you to glorify Him. Oh..that reminds me. Work with your mom on that project for Brian's room. It appears because of the privacy laws you cannot comment on Brian's condition or needs. Marcy came up with the idea of making a poster with people making comments like "Careful-No Skull Zone", "Watch the right side of my head-very soft-no touching allowed" stuff like that. I know you and Kelsey will make it very colorful and fun. To all the other Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, Crazy Cousins and friends...WOW! Keep it up! Oh..Rachel...you are such a blessing to Brian. I have been told the room lights up when you walk in. I hope to see you again soon. Well, our family will continue to pray for Brian and his recovery. Love, Auntie Robyn

Rachel: Could I have your address?