Monday, February 12, 2007

Sunday, Monday

Kelsey and I visited Brian on Sunday. We didn't stay too long...maybe 2 hours. He looks great and Kelsey constantly tells him how cute he is. He's gonna have a huge ego problem when he gets outta this joint!!!!
Monday, I had plenty of time to visit after I dealt with the loan folks at OU. That's all straightened out now. Rachel and Judy were both with him today. Apparantly Judy has been making lots of friends on the staff by showering them with her homemade cakes and sweets! They complain about their waistlines but I think that under their breath they are saying, "more, more, more"! Even Brian was able to indulge. He had some home baked pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. YUM!
Our concern today is the trach. Brian is constantly picking at his ears, his nose, his trach...he rubs his eyes...he scratches in the diaper zone. I spoke with the pulmonologist about the risk of infection in the trach. His hands are always germie. He told me that he would speak to Zamorano about keeping the trach in until the bone flap is returned. He no longer needs it and we wonder if all of this contact is just going to do more harm than good. I talked to my friend Jarrod at work today. He is an 18 year old who had an AVM that ruptured when he was 16. It was as devastating as a stroke. When I first met him he was wearing a helmet and walking slow and carefully. He now has his bone flap in, walks great, and is working at his speech. His AVM was on the left side which is more harmful to the speech center.Anyway, he and his mom, Renee, told me that his trach was removed long before the bone was replaced. The Doctor "R" (I cannot for the life of me remember his last name) said that if Zamorano has no problem with it, he could probably pull the tube in a week or two. That's good news, eh?
I noticed today that Brians left leg was way more mobile. He bent it at the knee quite easily and took his sock off. I don't think he could have done this 3 days ago! He is such a miracle!!! He also showed me how he "pedalled" the bike with his hands today. His left arm, which had an ultrasound treatment to relax the tendon, looks as if it can reach farther down his side than two days ago!
Apparantly Patti Zimmerman and Carol Rogers came to visit Brian about an hour after Kelsey and I left on Sunday! Rachel said that Brian recognized Patti right away and said hi Mrs. Zimmermann. Next time, we set our watches for the rendezvous!
Rachel said that the head of therapy is going to watch Brian tomorrow and the "girls" will be helping him to walk. This should be very exciting. He is working so hard and doing so well. Please keep him in your prayers. Til next time, Marcy

2 comments:

auntdeb said...

Marc - we will be praying for wisdom for the doctors as regards the trach/bone flap issue.

Brian - God bless you (He already has!), and keep on doing more than you can do! - Love, Aunt Deb

Stacey said...

Hey everyone!!! I finially got to log on and see what this blog is all about. What an awsome idea! Now I will for sure log in and share any and all sightings!!It will also be great to give all the Aunts, Uncles, Cousins... so they can get caught up as well.I read through all the postings and was in tears as to the unbelievable progress Brian has shown all of us. He is indead a miracle!!no doubt about it! You go Bri!! Love to all, will talk at ya later. Love, Stacey