Sunday, April 1, 2007

5 days and counting

Today is Sunday...Brian is due to come home on Friday. Praise the Lord! He seems to be very anxious to come home.
Let me begin by saying that I was having some problems logging on to this site and I am glad that today was successful. I have no idea what the problem was but now, no problemo. (That was for you, Zo)
Last Wednesday, they pulled the feeding tube out of his stomach. When I visited on Thursday, I asked him if it hurt and he said "not that I remember". At the same time, Dr. "Babe" was nodding his head up and down indicating that it did indeed hurt but obviously he was over it. He now has a wonderful scab about 2 inches above his navel. Looks like it will make a great lumpy scar therefore Brian will have 2 navels! I got to watch some pretty cool therapy on Thursday and glean some info on what to expect when he comes home. They are setting up his therapy at a RIM offshoot at 13 Mile and Stephenson Hwy. It is one of only 3 RIM's that deal with neurological rehab. He will have PT, OT and speech all in one day, three days a week. I also have to find out if they will set up a visit at Kresge Eye Institute. I feel that his therapy would be much easier, especially walking, if he could see better! I have already talked to Mark Neindorf about installing a ramp, grab bars in the shower and finishing the bathroom painting. My friend Cindy from Trader Joes told me that she has a twin bed that I could have to put in the den. I will probably sack out next to him on the lazy boy until we figure out something better. I could use a couple of big strong backs to move the sofa bed to the garage for pickup, and move the bed into the den. Any takers? Anybody have a truck? Cindy might have a truck but I'm not certain.
Anywho, Kelsey and I visited today and had a great time. He knows that he forgets and he knows that he asks the same questions over and over. I feel that this is a good sign. He isn't frustrated about it and I don't mind answering the same things again and again. We were able to go outside and enjoy the beautiful, sunny, 75 degree day for about an hour. How nice! He really liked being out there. I told him that I was looking forward to sitting on the deck, Brian in his wheelchair, me with a glass of wine. He said...hey, I get a glass of wine too.
Lately, he has been calling me and Rachel several times a day to ask questions and wonder if we were coming to visit and to tell us that he was confused. So, I guess that it is time for him to come home to the people who love him the most. Although, he is well loved at RIM. What's not to love?
I'm done for now...more tomorrow. Love, Marcy :)

No comments: